Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Slightly Cooler

This will be short. I have already fallen asleep here at the desk, but the rain woke me up. Not a lot happening today. Chuck is on the Detroit run this week, which means he drives at night, home during the day. After our late breakfast, I went out to Grandpa's to pick some green beans. So far, it's the only thing ready. I got 2 one-gallon ice cream buckets full. I was picking fast because a thunderstorm was rolling in fast from the west. I got caught in it, but fortunately it was mostly wind. The rain hit harder after I finished. This is what I got out of it. I used some of them for dinner. I cooked some black-eyed peas then added some green beans to it. It is really good that way. Also fixed white rice and Shake & Bake chicken. Turned out pretty good!
This is yet another hibiscus in my next door neighbor's yard. He has 2 white hibiscus and 1 purple one. They are very pretty. There were only 3 blossoms on the purple, so it was hard to get a nice shot.
I really like the white hibiscus. These 2 bushes are the only white hibiscus I have ever seen that don't have the yellow center. They are solid white, as the purple one is solid purple, without the red center.
This is just a weed. It is called Queen Ann's Lace. I darkened it, then over contrasted it for this effect. I know, I get bored easily! LOL
Personally, I'm getting tired of the tiger lillies, but when I rarely venture out of the yard, not a lot of variety! Gonna get off here before I fall asleep again! Hopefully I will see you tomorrow.
Love Ya
Lisa

19 comments:

ArleneWKW said...

Wonderful photos Lisa. I particularly like the white hibiscus.
I love the detail in the petals and their grace. They remind me of white skirts on dancers flaring outward as they twirl around. They possess movement.

Lydia said...

My favorite is the white hibiscus.

Dan said...

Lisa, wonderful pics. Glad you didn't get caught in a downpour! Thanks for visiting my blog. The buildings in the downtown area in the second pic are quite well maintained. In the last 5 years or so the downtown area has undergone a very extensive renewal, which continues till right now. The whole downtown area is a historical district. McKinney has the second largest historical district in the State of Texas, right after Galveston.

Patty said...

Never thought of cooking black eyed peas and green beans together. Might try it someday. Seeing your pan full of green beans reminded me of all the years I use to can green beans. A LOT of work in the summer, but oh so good in the Winter.

Fugazi said...

Hi Lisa - if i culd only mail you a kitten i would...:))

Your Purple hibiscus had a wonderful coluor... Loved it.

Take care:))

Unknown said...

Good morning Lisa. Nothing like few green beans with a little pork grease cooked in. Do you can? Also the flowers are so lovely!

raccoonlover1963/Lisa Myers said...

Yes, I do can. Last year was a first for a lot of things for me. First garden, first time canning, and first time making jelly. And you definitely can't have green beans without the bacon fat in them. Just wouldn't be prudent! LOL
Lisa

raccoonlover1963/Lisa Myers said...

Last year when we got our first picking of green beans from our garden, I cooked up a mess. After tasting them, Chuck said, Oh you made granny beans. He always loved his grandmother's green beans. And I apparently hit it right on the nose.
Lisa

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Lisa: Very nice photos of the flowers, you captured then quite well.

Lib said...

Love the photos.
I love fresh veggies. I'm not big on meat,never have been.
We got your Tstorm last night the wind was terrible!
Have a great day!
Blessins',Lib

Katie said...

I miss Indiana green beans! My mom had a garden when we lived there and I liked them fresh of the vine. Beautiful flower photos too!

Anonymous said...

I like white hibiscus one..

Anonymous said...

I have something waiting for you at my Blog, please stop by and pick it up.Thanks!
Blessins',Steven

Carla Marasco said...

Just stopping by to see what's new in your life. Love Love Love the photos! Keep up the beautiful work!

Unknown said...

I guess I am too early for today but it was worth seeing yesterdays post again!

Lori Schmidt (LoriProPhoto) said...

Hi Lisa, we keep missing each other!! Love the shots today again , I can see you improving daily, I told you that blogging was fun (I have created a monster!)

Will try to get in touch today somehow, was just so busy yesterday taking advantage of the cooler weather. Promise I will post today, although I haven't been shooting much at all.

((((Hugs))))

Nancy said...

I love the hibiscus photos! They are just the prettiest flower and so huge, too!

Guess I got your posts mixed up as I commented about your beans on your previous post! I read them all and then go back and comment, and at my age, I do get mixed up! LOL

What does the 1963 mean in your blog name? That year is the year I graduated from high school!

(((((( HUGS ))))))

raccoonlover1963/Lisa Myers said...

Hi Nancy. The 1963 on my blog name is the year I was born. January 30, 1963.
Lisa

raccoonlover1963/Lisa Myers said...
This comment has been removed by the author.